Some of Guadalajara's achievements and recognitions
- 1970. Venue to the 1970 and 1986 FIFA World Cups and just recently the upcoming 2016 World cup.
- 1986. The International Film Festival of Guadalajara was born.
- 1987. The Guadalajara International Book Fair started and is now the largest Spanish language book fair in the world, held each year over nine days at the Expo Guadalajara. Over 300 publishing firms from 35 countries regularly attend.
- 1991. Our city was the venue to the first Iberoamerican Summit.
- 2004. Hosted The Third Summit of Heads of State and Governments from Latin America, the Caribbean and the European Union.
- 2005. Named the American Capital of Culture.
- 2005. Welcomed the International Promoters and Cultural Managers.
- 2007. The survey entitled "Cities of the Future", FDi magazine ranked Guadalajara highest among major Mexican cities and designated Guadalajara as having the second strongest economic potential of any major North American city, behind Chicago. The magazine also ranked it as the most business-friendly Latin American city.
- 2009. Guadalajara hosted the convention: Society of American Travel Writers (SATW).
- 2010. We held the AATSP Convention (The American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese).
- 2011. We hosted the Pan American Games.
- 2013. Trip Advisor selects Guadalajara as their Travelers' Choice destination award:
- 2016. 2nd best place to visit by the magazine: Travel + Leisure.
- 2016. Named the First IEEE Assisted 'Smart City'
- 2016. The 100 Resilient Cities announced Guadalajara, Mexico as one if its newest member. Our city was one of the very few chosen from a list of over 1000 applications.
- Yearly. Created 32 years ago The FIL (The Guadalajara International Book Fair) is the most important publishing gathering in Ibero-America. It is also an amazing cultural festival.
- The Ensemble of Performing Arts, we have spaces for music, theater and dance at the height of the best in the world.
- Guadalajara is a global city. The consultancy A.T. Kearney, which publishes year after year an index of the 100 cities in the world that exhibit the greatest potential, and which placed in 2017 our city in the 76th position, just three below Sao Paulo.
We are not just another beach location. Guadalajara is the birthplace to the most iconic symbols of Mexico; Mariachi, Tequila, Traditional Mexican Cuisine and Folkloric Traditions.